First look at mining in Forge On

No comments


The asteroid is generated using a single mesh, not currently using a chunk-based system however that is possible with this technique.

Each voxel's shape is determined by the voxels surrounding it and where reasonable mesh vertices are shared.  It gets a little complicated sharing verts so I opted to only share a few of them between voxels.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure if this method will be feasible in the long run but I like the potential.  I would like for the voxels to form more intelligently; creating slopes when attached to two voxels at perpendicular intersections for instance.  The reason I haven't done this yet is that it would cause the voxels to "snap" back when the corresponding neighbors are destroyed.  I have considered trying to get the voxels to mainain their "minimum" shape in each direction; it might solve the problem but I will have to give it some more thought.


Let me know what you think, or if you have any thoughts on a solution to this problem.

Follow the progress on Twitter or Facebook

No comments :

Post a Comment